Oregano Essential Oil (Origanum vulgare)
Oregano is a very potent and powerful essential oil that can be used in your everyday life. It has been around since ancient times and used in traditional healing practices for its cleanings and immune- boosting properties.* This plant could originally be found in the warm climates of western and southwestern Eurasia and the Mediterranean region. After the Second World War, the plant started gaining popularity in the United States. Because there are many ways to use Oregano, it is one of the most popular essential oils from doTERRA.
DoTERRA Oregano Products
- 10 ml Touch Roller– Great for traveling and on the go. This roller is pre-diluted so its awesome to use on skin right away as well as safe for kids. (Retail $21.00, Wholesale $15.75)
- Essential Oil– The oil is great to diffuse, take internally in a veggie capsule or with water or use diluted on skin. (Retail $32.00, Wholesale $24.00)
Did you know?
- It takes 1000 pounds of oregano plants to distill 1 pound of essential oil.
- Oregano oil is high in phenols. Thymol (a natural fungicide with antiseptic properties) and Carvacrol (found to be effective against various bacterial infections).
- DoTERRA sources its Oregano oil from Turkey! How cool is that?!
- The word Oregano is derived from a Greek phase, “Joy of the Mountains.”
How to Use Oregano
Aromatically (In the Air)
- Diffuse 2-3 drops in a diffuser to help purify the air. It also has a great fresh smell and helps with emotional balance.
- Add 1-2 drops of oil into veggie capsule to support healthy respiratory immune functions.*
- Put one drop in place of dried oregano in spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce or on a roast.
- Gargle 1 drop with water to fight Strep Throat and Tonsillitis.
Topically (On the Skin)
- If applying Oregano Essential Oil to the skin make sure to add fractionated coconut oil or non scented lotion to dilute it. Dilute 1:3 (1 drop Oregano, 3 drops carrier oil). Dilute more heavily for children or use the Touch 10ml Roller that is already diluted for those cute kiddos. If pregnant, consult with your doctor.
- Apply the lotion or oil mix to distressed nails/toenails. Great for athletes foot!
- Use lotion or oil mix on skin to help fight illness. You can also apply to painful areas like carpal tunnel to help with comfort.
- Have a canker sore or bad Callouses/Warts? Apply 1 drop Oregano, 2 drops Frankincense and Fractionated Coconut Oil to affected area.
- In a 16oz spray bottle, add 10 drops of Oregano and fill the rest with water for a surface cleaner.
Blends well with
Thanks so much for reading! We hope you find health and wellbeing on your journey to discover essential oils!
We always recommend using certified pure therapeutic grade essential oils from doTERRA. In fact, we love them so much, we’re doing our best at making a living sharing and educating all about them! If you’d like to learn more about essential oils, how you can get amazing oils 25% or if you’d like to run your own essential oils business, please reach out to us!
*Resources for this post “doTERRA LIVING magazine spring 2017, The Essential Life, Modern Essentials A Contemporary Guide to the Therapeutic Use of Essential Oils Sixth Addition- Aroma Tools”