8 Calming Oils You Will Want to Know About
One common thing I find among people wanting to get started with essential oils is that they are looking for something to help calm themselves or a loved one. Oils are incredible tools that we can use everyday to help promote feelings of peace and harmony and create a calming atmosphere.
Let’s dive in to discover 8 calming oils, as well as some ideas on how to use them.
Most people when they think of a calming oil, think of Lavender, so of course this is one oil I wanted to touch on. Lavender essential oil is known for this because it has calming and relaxing properties when it is used topically on your skin, aromatically in the air/diffuser, and internally.* The great thing about Lavender to is it is a really affordable oil too!
Lavender essential oil is a great choice for helping promote an atmosphere to help aid in a good nights rest. To take advantage of Lavenders calming properties try:
- A drop doTERRA Lavender underneath your tongue to help with anxious feelings*. Have a cup of water close by and take a big gulp of water to help wash it down.
- Diffuse Lavender in the bedroom to relax before bed and prepare for a restful night of sleep. This is something Jake and I do every evening! 3-5 drops in your diffuser should be plenty!
- Ok guys… this is my favorite way to use Lavender! Add a 3-5 drops to a warm bath to help ease tense feelings and help relax! The smell is so fantastic and a great way to help wind down for the day.
Serenity oil is one of the first oils I was introduced to with doTERRA. It is a blend of Lavender Flower, Cedarwood, Ho Wood Leaf, Ylang Ylang Flower, Marjoram Leaf, Roman Chamomile Flower, Vetiver Root, Vanilla Bean Absolute, and lastly Hawaiian Sandalwood Wood essential Oils. Serenity has a very calming and relaxing aroma. Here are a few application methods:
- Add a 3-5 drops of Serenity to your diffuser to help calm a restless baby or child.
- Apply to bottoms of feet at bedtime to help unwind before going to sleep. Pair it with Serenity Restful Complex Softgels for an enhanced effect. For those cute kiddos I would just use a drop or two of Serenity Oil blended with Fractionated Coconut Oil on their feet.
- Put a drop in your hands and rub them together. Take a big Inhale from your hands to help decrease tension.
- This is another great oil for bath time. Add 2–3 drops into a warm bath with Epsom salts to create a relaxing, renewing experience.
- Apply 2–3 drops to the back of the neck or on the heart for feelings of calmness and peace.
- You can also put Serenity in a roller and roll right on if you like DIY projects! I did this and use my Serenity roller and apply it anytime before I somewhere or feeling a little anxious. I do in a 10ml roller bottle 30 drops Serenity and fill the rest up with with FCO.
My cute friend Jen came over the other day and told me Clary Sage was her favorite oil. When I asked her what she likes to use it for she said, “Well I don’t know really what its for but I really love the smell and smell it when I feel wound up.” Well Jen had no idea, she was on the right track with her thinking!
The chemical makeup of Clary Sage oil makes it one of the most relaxing, soothing, and balancing essential oils. Here are some of the easiest ways to hone in on the calming properties of Clary Sage:
- Add a few drops of Clary Sage essential oil with water in a spray bottle. Spritz the creation over your pillow before going to bed for a restful sleep.
- Long Day? Add 3-5 drops of Clary Sage to your diffuser to help promote feelings of relaxation as well as calmness.
- If you want to use it how my friend Jen does, add a drop to your palms, rub your hands together and take a big inhale. This is a super quick and simple way to use the oil and still get the benefits!
Have you had a chance to smell Roman Chamomile? It has a super yummy aroma! It is one I would recommend adding to your oils collection. I first heard of this oil when I was research calming oils for children.
This oil is known to have calming effects on the body, mind, and skin. Most people that are familiar with the use of Roman Chamomile is for tea, however, the uses for Roman Chamomile oil reach far beyond drink.
Back in the day, the Roman soldiers used chamomile oil to promote calming feelings of courage before going off to war. How cool is that??! The neat thing is we can use Roman Chamomile for the same purpose today! Check out a few simple ways that you might enjoy using this oil during your daily routine:
- Tea drinker? Add 1-2 drops of Roman Chamomile essential oil your herbal tea to help soothe the body and mind.*
- Apply oil to your chest over the heart for feelings of well-being.
- Feeling irritable or in a bad mood? Add 3-5 drops of Roman Chamomile to your diffuser!
- Add a drop to your palms, rub hands together and take a big inhale.
- I really like Roman Chamomile in the bath with epsom salts as well! If you don’t have epsom salts, just the 3-5 drops of the oil will do the trick!
Ylang Ylang comes from a really cool tropical tree. The oil is created from a star-shaped flower that grows from the trees. They are really pretty! Ylang Ylang has lots of awesome qualities like uplifting your mood, while also having a calming effect.
It has a spicy and sweet floral aroma which makes it one of Jakes favorite oils. He keeps this oil on his night stand and smells it everyday after work to help lessen feelings of stress and tension. Ylang Ylang is a unique, must-have oil with a huge variety of possibilities. Here are few ideas listed below to help in the calming arena:
- Combine a few drops of Ylang Ylang oil with Epsom salts and place in a warm bath to promote relaxation.
- Apply Ylang Ylang to the back of the neck for a calming, uplifting effect.
- Want to smell awesome? Put a drop of Ylang Ylang oil on your wrists for a great perfume that gives off a soothing and calming aroma throughout your day.
- If you need help focusing on the positive, try using Ylang Ylang to help promote a positive outlook.
Petitgrain oil is one oil I didn’t know too much about when I first started with oils and wanted to learn more about. After I learned more I realized how cool it is! Not only is Petitgrain inviting and comforting, but the oil provides calming and relaxing benefits that can help to ease feelings of stress. Doesn’t get better than that right?
If you haven’t ever tried Petitgrain oil, consider a few of the simple uses below to get you started:
- Feeling nervous? Take 1-2 drops of Petitgrain internally to help with feelings of tension in addition to helping calm the nervous system.*
- Stressful day?! Try diffusing 3-5 drops of Petitgrain oil to promote feelings of calmness.
- Add 15-20 drops of Petigrain essential oil and spray a few drops your pillow before sleep to promote feelings of relaxation.
Vetiver oil along with Serenity were the first doTERRA oils I tried. Jake and I had just got back from Hong Kong and had horrible jet lag. We were apply Vetiver to the bottoms of our feet and diffusing Serenity. As well as taking the Serenity Gel capsules. I was happy to learn later on Vetiver had many other uses to help calm and ground. Here are a few ideas to use Vetiver:
- Feeling frazzled? How about a massage with Vetiver oil. Apply a few drops on your neck and feet to promote feelings of calmness.
- Vetiver is great in the diffuser. It blends really well to with other calming oils. Add 3-5 drops total of your favs to help relax.
- Need to calm your emotions? Put a drop of Vetiver in your hands, rub hands together, and take a big inhale.
To end, I wanted to share my current favorite oil for calming….BALANCE! I know I say all the oils are my my favorite, but Balance is one of my favs because I use it EVERY SINGLE DAY! Here are a couple ways that you can use Balance Essential Oil to help keep grounded in your everyday routine:
- Feeling anxious? Put a drop on wrists and take a big inhale. You will also smell awesome as well the oil helping with anxious feelings when the arise.
- Add 3-5 drops in diffuser or a warm bath. This oil comes out a little bit thicker so it helps to tap the bottom of them oil bottle when pouring into the diffuser.
- Start the day off right by putting a few drops Balance oil on the bottoms of your feet.
- Need to take a step back and relax? Put a drop of Balance in the palms of your hands, rub together and take a few big inhales.
There are of course many other oils out there that can help promote relaxation and calming, but I wanted to share my top favorites that I use! I am a firm believer of recommending products that I have had experience with, use and love!
Ready to take advantage of these awesome oils and their calming benefits? If you plan on purchasing more than 1 oil in a years span, I would recommend getting a doTERRA wholesale account. The wholesale account at is only $35 and get 25% all of doTERRA’s products for an entire year! Another option is to purchase a kit because all of the enrollment kits come with a free Wholesale Account. All of the kit options are great but my favorite one is the Home Essentials Kit! It also includes a few of the oils we covered today.
After you purchase what you want, I will get a notice about your order and get in contact with you. We can set up a time together for a call to go over your new oils, how to use them, and answer any questions you may have. I want to make sure you feel confident in using your oils and have ideas on how to use them in your everyday life.
Talk soon!- Kelsey
For more essential oil spotlights, check out here for more fun!
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.