How to Use Oils
Ever wondered how to use essential oils?! Learning the basics with essential oils can be overwhelming, so here we will try and break it down for you to show you how to use your oils! Once you make the plunge and try essential oils, you will see how many diffrent ways you can use them, and be amazed 🙂 The possibilities are endless!
There are Three Methods to use Essential Oils
With essential oils there are three ways to use the oils!
The amazing thing about essential oils is they don’t have the side-effects that come along with synthetic medications. You won’t building up a resistance like you would with antibiotics, so the products are always effective. And best of all, you can’t become physically addicted to essential oils.
doTERRA oils are sourced from where the plants grow best! They are super powerful and one drop goes a long way! Most uses you only need 1-3 drops of oil.
I thought I should mention that doTERRA oils are safe for children and infants. I will share below some ideas to use the oils with kids so they stay safe and healthy.
Let’s dive into each method of using essential oils!
Aromatic is personally my favorite way to use the oils! I do use all three ways to use the oils daily, but having my diffuser going all day makes me so happy! Here are a few ideas to aromatically use essential oils:
- Smell the oils directly from the bottle. This method is known as direct inhalation. By smelling certain oils your mood can be instantly enhanced. Personally, I love smelling the citrus oils like lemon, grapefruit, orange, lime, etc. because they instantly enhance my mood!
- Put a drop of oil on your hands and smell. Smelling the oil from our hands will give you a similar effect These doTERRA oils are non greasy
- Add the oils to a diffuser. 3-5 drops is plenty! If you have never used a diffuser, you can see how they work here. Shopping for a diffuser? I have tried several and this one is my favorite! (That diffuser run for 8 eight hours and is super compact!) Some of my favorite oils to diffuse are Balance (emotional blend), OnGuard (helps fight colds), Lemon (cleanse and purifies the air) and Frankincense (good for the immune system, meditation, allergies).
- Use the oils as cleaning agents. Many of the oils like Lemon, OnGuard, Melaleuca, and White Fir can be used for Housecleaning. Place a few drops in a cleaning rag. You could also make a spray by adding 10 drops and distilled water in a small spray bottle.
- Create an air freshener. In a spray bottle (preferably glass) add water and a few of your favorite oils for a wonderful smell.
Topical, that means applying the oils directly to your skin. You can apply oil to the bottom of your feet, back of neck, tummies, joints, problem areas, just about anywhere. Avoid oils around eyes, ears and nose.
- Add a drop of oil to a non scented lotion. I add a drop of Frankincense essential oil into my face lotion every morning. In the evenings I add 1 drop of Lavender into my night facial cream. Frankincense is amazing for keeping skin youthful, helping with wrinkles, and scars. Lavender is great for calming, relaxation, anxiety, stress, sleep issues and emotional balance. If my skin ever feels itchy or I get sunburn I will always add lavender to my body lotion and rub it all over!
- 3-5 drops of oil to a bath. I am a huge bath person and take them every night I can. If I had a hard work out in the day I will use a few drops of Deep Blue in the bath to help with aches and pain. If I want a fresh smell, I will add Wild Orange or a citrus oil. Winding down for the night, Ill use Serenity that is awesome for calming and relaxation. If you are getting kiddos ready for bed, add 3 drops of Lavender to help them wind down.
- Make roller blends! You can buy roller bottles and create your oil roller blends with essential oils and Fractionated Coconut Oil. My favorite option is the easy one of buying the rollers already made for me. Pictured above, doTERRA has “Touch” rollers that are pre-diluted and ready to go, so they are safe to use on children and infants. With rollers you can roll the oil directly on the bottoms of feet, behind the ears, back of neck, on tummies, etc. I love rolling DigetZen on my belly for an upset stomach, Melaleuca on bruises, and Lavender on bug bites!
- Try making bath bombs! If you are not into dropping a few drops of oil into your bath, go the bath bomb route! They are super fun to make and kids LOVE them too! Soaking in the oils is an awesome way to get effects from oils.
Plants are commonly used in herbal teas, to flavor foods and taken internally for therapeutic benefits. By taking essential oils you can receive the same benefits but by 10 fold. For example it takes 45 pounds of Lavender Plant to make one bottle of doTERRA Lavender essential oil. One drop of the oils are packed with powerful effects. Essential oils are more potent than whole plant material. Small amounts should be used when taking oils internally.
- Add an essential oil to a veggie capsule. Ginger, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Lavender, Oregano, Spearmint, Peppermint, Orange, and Thyme are a few suggested oils to take internally.
- Try the pre-made soft gel capsules. I take an OnGuard in a soft gel everyday. The OnGuard fights against Colds, Flus, as well as Coughs when taken internally. If you are looking for weight loss help, taking Slim & Sassy internally helps with appetite suppression, cravings and stimulates your metabolism.
- Cook with the oils. Try adding a drop of lemon or lime essential to guacamole! Or test out any of these fun recipes here.
- Put 1-2 drops in a glass of water. My husband Jake adds OnGuard to a glass of water in the morning before breakfast. At night time he adds DigestZen to keep his system in check. If you need a refreshing drink, add Lemon into your water. If you are wanting to loose weight, put Grapefruit into your drink. Its awesome with helping with appetite suppression and cravings.
Essential Oils and Kids
As a Aunt with 14 nieces and nephews, I talk to my sisters who are mothers a lot. I know as a mom you want to feel like the products you are using are safe and useful for your kids. Below are a few ideas on how you can safely and effectively use oils with your kids.
- Ever concerned if an oil is safe for you child? Dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil like Fractioned coconut oil. You can also add a drop of essential oil to a non scented lotion, or buy the Touch Rollers which are already preluded. Here is a little key for knowing how much to dilute for babies and kids. For both use 1 drop oil, 1 tablespoon carrier oil like Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- Avoid oils topically applied around ears, nose and eyes.
- Wait till your little babes are 6 months + to use oils on them. Little babes are new and precious! Heavily diluted oils can be used on them but consult a doctor first.
- Only use oils topically and aromatically with children.
- Instead of diffusing 3-5 drops, try just 1-2 in your diffuser. Ever have questions with essential oils and kids? Always dilute! Diffusers are awesome for night lights in kids bedrooms.
- Introduce one essential oil at a time to kids.
- Wear oils to get kids used to them. You can help your kids build a tolerance to oils simply by applying them topically to yourself.
Now that you know three methods you can you each of your essential oils, the next step is to use them. Don’t be shy, GO FOR IT! Each oil has diffrent elements that combat diffrent things. Time to study about oils and see what they can help you with!
I would recommend downloading the app Modern Essentials. It pairs with doTERRA oils and is super easy to use. The cost is a one time fee of $6.99 but is well worth it. You can type in “headache”, or “stinky shoes” and it will let you know what oils will work for that element. Plus, if you are like me, you phone is most likely always by you and easy to grab.
If you enjoy readying or seeing a physical book I would recommend The Essential Life. Here it lists in detail about each oil available, what it can help with, conditions/solutions, recipes, DIY and more! This book is one I keep on my night stand and search through everyday. There is always something new I can learn from it!
The doTERRA website is also a great resource in learning about oils and how to use them. On their blog there are always fun new recipes, DIY projects and ideas to implement oils in your every day life. Best of all?! It’s free!
Interested in learning about essential oils? Register for one of our upcoming webinars:
Want to know what we do for a living and how you can do it too? Register for one of our upcoming webinars:
My favorite thing about essential oils is that they can be tailored to your personal needs! Want to set up a one on one phone call to figure out what oils would work best for you and how you can use them? Send me an email (kelsey at firstname.lastname@example.org) and well set up an appointment together. Thanks for stopping by today! Have a wonderful day!